Minutes of the Village of Martin Board
February 11, 2013
Village of Martin
February 11, 2013
The Martin Village Council met for its regular meeting on February
11, 2013, at the Martin Village Office, 1609 North Main Street, Martin,
Call to Order and Pledge to Flag: President Brinkhuis called the meeting
to order at 7:00p.m. The Pledge of Allegiance to the American flag was
Roll Call: Members present: Brinkhuis, Flower, Rambadt, Doezema, Hunt,
Kelsey, Wykstra and Deputy Clerk Merrill.
Approval of Minutes: Motion made by Member Wykstra and supported by
Member Flower to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of January
14, 2013, and the Special meetings of January 17 and February 4, 2013, as
submitted. Motion carried.
Recognition of Visitors: Visitors present were: Rick Martin and Don
Approval of Agenda: Added Rezoning to New Business. Motion was made
by Member Flower and supported by Member Doezema to approve the
agenda. Motion carried.
Communications: Clerk Doezema reviewed the following received
(1) Email invitation to Precinct 6 Law Enforcement meeting March 5, 2013
(2) Region 8 Notes for January/February 2013
(3) Thank you card from the Doezema family
(4) Bill from Prien & Newhof, whom Member Flower contacted for
clarification. Suggested that we pay it.
1. Treasurer's Report: Treasurer Rambadt highlighted her report, reporting
that all bills have been paid and reconciled with the bank. Motion was
made by Member Doezema and supported by Member Hunt to approve the
report for January 2013 as submitted. Motion carried.
2. Payment of Bills: The bills were reviewed by Clerk Doezema. A bill from
USA BlueBook for $40.65 was added, bill from Prien & Newhof for $44.50
was added, and an additional bill from Arnsman for $175.00 was added.
Motion was made by Member Wykstra and supported by Member Rambadt
to pay the bills as presented and any forthcoming utility bills. Motion
3. Transfers per 2012-2013 budget: Deputy Clerk Merrill submitted the
following transfers for 2012-2013: From General Fund - to Vehicle Fund -
$8500.00 and to Building Fund - $100.00. From Infrastructure - to Major
Street Fund - $63,000 and to Local Street Fund - $5000. Motion made by
Member Wykstra to approve the transfers, supported by Member Rambadt.
4. Approval of proposed 2013-2014 budget: Deputy Clerk Merrill
presented the proposed budget for 2013-2014. Motion made by Member
Flower and seconded by Member Hunt to approve the proposed budget.
1. Public Safety: Member Hunt - No report.
2. Public Works: Member Wykstra - No report.
3. Streets: Member Wykstra provided a list of signs that need to be
replaced and their cost. Motion made by Member Doezema to purchase the
listed signs at approximately $1200, supported by Member Flower. Motion
4. Sewer/Water: Member Flower reported that he will include a
replacement meter on the upcoming sewer/water budget. He reported on
training received by BS&A, which Mike Schaafsma also attended. Member
Doezema explained that Schaafsma attended the training to provide
backup in case Member Flower needs it. Member Flower discussed
recommendations by DEQ which he will include in the budget as well.
5. Finance: Treasurer Rambadt - No report.
6. Ordinance and Policy: Clerk Doezema is reviewing our Ordinances. No
7. Civic Affairs: Member Kelsey - No report.
8. Five Year Planning: President Brinkhuis - no report.
9. County Commissioner: Don Black was not in attendance so President
Brinkhuis distributed synopses of the January 24, 2013 County Commission
meeting and the Report Card 2012.
1. Sewer Back Up Plan: Committee met with Tom Rook of Horizon
Operations. Clerk Doezema distributed a synopsis of the current charges
regarding sewer operation and a comparison of the Horizon Operations
proposal. President Brinkhuis reviewed the proposal and our current state
of operations. Discussion followed. Motion to accept the Horizon
Operations proposal made by Member Flower and seconded by Member
Hunt. Motion carried. Rick Martin provided some historical perspective on
the sewer issues. President Brinkhuis requested that Clerk Doezema draft a
letter to Main Tech, MSP, and Dover Farms to inform them of our switch to
1. Resolution for designation of Street Commissioner: Per Act 51,
Public Acts 1951, as amended, by the Michigan Department of
Transportation, the council needs to officially pass a resolution for
Designation of a Street Administrator. Motion made by Member Flower and
supported by Member Rambadt to designate Member Earl Wykstra as the
Street Administrator for the Village of Martin. Roll call vote: Rambadt - yes,
Kelsey - yes, Flower - yes, Hunt - yes, Doezema - yes. Abstaining -
Wykstra. Motion carried.
2. PW Employees compensation: Discussion on compensation for PW
employees. Deputy Clerk Merrill reported on their last raises and/or hire
date. President Brinkhuis directed the Public Works committee to meet and
discuss this issue, and to bring a recommendation to the next Council
meeting, and to give Schaafsma an evaluation of his work.
3. Rezoning request: Discussion on the rezoning of the Brinkhuis property,
with a subsequent purchase by Van Elderen Inc. The council reviewed
information and concerns brought forth during the Public Hearing
conducted prior to the council meeting. Clerk Doezema read Ordinance 62.
Motion made by Member Flower and seconded by Member Hunt to rezone
said property and adopt Ordinance 62. Roll call vote:
Brinkhuis - abstained
Doezema - yes, Flower - yes, Kelsey - yes, Hunt - yes, Wykstra - yes,
Rambadt - yes. Motion carried.
Recent Community Deaths: The following names were submitted: Edwin
Roundtable: Rick Martin thanked the Council for their service. Members
reported some upcoming planned absences from the area.
Adjournment: Motion was made by Member Wykstra and supported by
Member Hunt to adjourn the meeting at 8:01 p.m. Motion carried.
Darcy Doezema, Clerk